Skip to main content

My Birth Delivery & Hospital Stay Diary...

[ DAY 1 ]
5am: I was asleep. Waterbag broke. (blood red water mixture gushing out from time to time.) No contractions, yet.

5.20am: Called the 24hrs hotline whereby the operator transferred my call to my doctor. Dr Hii then advised me to admit to hospital. (For what i know, waterbag leakage are of colourless or maybe a tint of pink, but mine was bloody red. So I asked the operator if my bright red water leakage is normal, she said yes. So i took her words, and took my time to get prepared to go to the hospital. Read on to find out why I regretted taking her words).

6am: Breakfast (Bread and Milo).

A last bumpie shot. I'm gonna miss your little movements inside me...

6.30am: Left home. Brother drove me to Mount Alvernia Hospital (MAH).

7am: Arrived at MAH.

7.05am: Changed into Hospital gown. Admitted to Labour Ward. Blood pressure taken. Temperature taken. Baby's heartbeat monitor and contractions tracker strapped on.

7.15am: Business office staff came in to verify with me my maternity package and collect deposit from me. $3000.

7.40am: Dr Hii arrived. Said baby's heartbeat isn't good. "Need emergency C-section." 😨 HUH?! My mind went blank. (Emergency C-section was necessary, not because of the water bag breakage, but due to the bright red water leakage, which means I'm bleeding inside the uterus, and baby is probably drinking the bloody amniotic fluid, and may affect baby's oxygen intake as the baby rely on the placenta and cord for oxygen). By the way my cervix has only opened 0.5cm.

8am: Rushed me to the Operating Room. The staffs literally pushed my bed and ran across the corridor saying "Emergency!" (That freaked me out, I was so scared).

8.01am: Everything happened so fast. Arrived at Operating Theater, they carried and transferred me onto the operating table, one staff injected something in my left hand, while another put an oxygen mask on my face. I concussed. (did Emergency Caesarean Delivery with General Anesthesia).

9am: The next thing i remember was waking up outside the operating room. The staffs were getting ready to push me to my 2-bedded ward. I was still in shock.

9.05am: Arrived at my ward. Mummy and sister were already waiting there. Nurses transferred me onto the ward bed. The painnnnnnn..... Whoa.

So hungryyyyyyyyy. But I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything for today. 
Have to wait til tomorrow. Huhhh......? 😥 

2pm: Lactation Consultant came and did a demonstration on me to show me how to massage the breasts to bring on the milk supply. However, I had Caesarean, so I have to wait til the next day to sit up and try.

3.10pm: Baby's doctor (Paediatrician) Dr KH Lim came to explain to me about Baby's situation and condition. Luckily, I managed to get to hospital on time to get the baby out, if not things would've turned ugly. My water bag was filled with blood (Antepartum Haemorrhage), baby has been drinking the bloody amniotic fluid inside the uterus. There are also risks of baby not getting enough oxygen intake if the haemorrhage is caused by placenta or cord bleeding. Her little lungs were affected, that's why she's in NICU now with oxygen help and to monitor further. (the operator told me earlier that it's normal to have bright bloody red water leakage, no it's NOT. It's a birth complication! Luckily I didnt delay too long before getting down to the hospital).

Im on bedrest, and baby is in NICU. I haven't seen my baby at all since delivery. I hope by tomorrow, I can walk over to NICU.
7.45pm: FINALLY the nurse served me a cup of MILO! I'm famished....!

8pm: Antibiotics & painkiller type 1.

10pm: Painkiller type 2.

Good night.


[ DAY 2 ]
5.30am: Painkiller type 2.
6am: Cup of Milo

8.25am: Antibiotics & painkiller type 1

8.30am: Dr Hii visited. Checked on me and my wound.

8.35am: Breakfast time! Doctor gave the green light to food! I can finally eat something!


9am: Nurse brought in the confinement menu to let me choose my meals for the next few days.

9.20am: Dr KH Lim came to update me about baby's condition in NICU. She's improving and probably will remove the oxygen thing tomorrow.

9.30am: Catheter (urinal tube) removed.

11.30am: Lunch time!

12.40pm: Transfered to Single bed ward.

1.20pm: painkiller type 2

1.30pm: Got up from bed for the first time after delivery.

1.40pm: Visited my little sweetheart at NICU. Finally get to see her in person. ❤

2.30pm: Tea time! (banana cake + longan drink)


3pm: Business Office staff came in and asked me for deposit for my baby's package charges. $3880.

5pm: Dinner at Umisushi. Haha.

6pm: ward dinner is served. Only ate abit.

7.15pm: Antibiotics & painkiller type 2.

7.30pm: Hot Milo

Mount Alvernia Goodie Bag!


Mount Alvernia Toiletries

Mount Alvernia complimentary treat

[ DAY 3 ]
1.45am: First drop of breast milk. Very little colostrum. Just few drops.

8am: Breakfast (Chicken & Mushroom noodles)


8.20am: Dr KH Lim came in and told me that baby can be transfered out to Nursery already. That's great!

8.30am: Antibiotics.

9.15am: Lactation Consultant Sharon Seet came and explained to me all about breastfeeding and bottle feeding, demonstrate breast massage, latching with baby.

9.30am: Baby out of NICU! pushed into my ward. So happy.

9.40am: Tried latching with baby...

9.50am: Dr Hii came to check on my cesarean wound. All good.

12pm: Lunch (Fish with chicken essence)

2.30pm: Tea time! (Apple Strudel & Longan drink)

6pm: Dinner

7.45pm: Dinner again at Cafe 820 (oops!)


8.15pm: Antibiotics

10.30pm: Rented the hospital's breastpump set at $50+. (because my breasts were so engorged)

FYI, at MAH, you are allowed to bring your own breast pump set to use but the milk that is pumped out using your own pump, cannot be given to your newborn in the hospital. They have policy. So if you wanna pump out your breastmilk to be given to your newborn in the hospital, you have to rent the pump from them (About $56).

11pm: My first pump!


[ DAY 4 ]
8am: Breakfast

8.10am: Antibiotics.

8.20am: Dr KH Lim came to update me about baby's condition and test results, as well as future check-ups.

9am: Dr Hii came to check on me and my wound. All good. Ready to go home with my princess today!

10.30am: Discharge slip given.

11.30am: Time to settle the bills.
Mummy bill
Total Delivery & Hospital charges: $5,952.89 (1 night Double, 2 nights Single)
Total Doctors charges (Gynae & Anesthesiologist): $5,510.50
Total charges: $11,463.39
Estimated Medisave claim: ($4,400)
Amount Payable: $7,063.39

Baby bill
Total Baby Hospital charges: $2,826.93
Total Doctor charges (Paediatrician): $856
Total charges: $3,682.93
Estimated Medisave claim: ($1,350)

Amount Payable: $2,332.93

Well, it's expensive to deliver a baby in Singapore, especially if it's a Caesarean Delivery. Moreover, as a single mom, i'm NOT entitled to the Baby Bonus Cash of $8,000 which every other mummy gets.

FYI, I was not able to register my baby's birth certificate at the hospital, just because I'm a single mom. I have to get it done at ICA only.

Anyway, we're ready to go home!
The real motherhood begins......


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping Lactation: Dostinex

Yes. I decided to give up breastfeeding.   Because it's eating away my sleep and health, mentally and physically.  People always say, " breastfeeding is the best for your child and try to breastfeed as long as possible, at least 6 months ". Well, it's easier said than done . Now that I've experienced breastfeeding, I'd really admire those mums who actually breastfed for months or years. It's so so so tough and tiring, I swear. For those who don't understand and never knew what's the life of a breastfeeding mom...  Here's an example (newborn).  1am baby sleep. Mummy sleep.  3am baby cry. feeding time  (Latch: 30-40 mins. Or Bottle: 5 mins prepare and warm milk, feed 20-30 mins.) 3.35am burp baby. 3.40am   change baby diaper. 3.45am put baby to sleep 3.50am pump out (remaining) breast milk. 4.20am done pump. Prepare storage. 4.25am store breast milk in fridge. Wash up breast pump and sterilize. 4.35am Sleep.

Free Samples & Goodie Bags: Everyone's Favorite Topic!

It's freebies time!! In this post, I've compiled a list of of free samples & freebies for expecting mummies as well as after your birth delivery! (And other miscellaneous free samples too.) BABY GOODIE BAGS with Terms & Conditions (Goodie bags will be delivered by an Insurance agent, along with a compulsory meet up of about 30 mins with no obligation of purchasing anything, just take it as a chance to understand more about the different Insurance plans from Maternity plans to Baby Hospital plans). Babyfirstgift.sg   (AXA) - Expectant mothers. Mighty Sprouts   (AIA) - Expectant mothers, or with baby below 3 months old. SG Baby Club   (AIA) -  Expectant mothers, or with baby below 6 months old. Cradle Of Love   (Great Eastern) -  Expectant mothers, or with child up to 3 yrs old. MILK POWDER SAMPLES  (Maternal & Baby Milk Powder from 6 months) In Singapore, there won't be any newborn milk powder samples because breastfeeding is strongly encouraged

Hospital Bag Checklist

The Hospital Bag Checklist for delivering in Singapore When should you pack your maternity hospital bag? Try to pack at least 3 weeks before your due date, as it's better to be ready-to-go instead of panicking when the water bag breaks unexpectedly or if the painful contractions finally visits you and by then you won't be able to think properly of what to bring to hospital.  What to pack in your hospital bag? Well, it depends on what amenities and items are already included in your hospital maternity package though. I will be delivering at Mount Alvernia Hospital , and these are the stuffs that's included in the maternity package... Mount Alvenia Maternity packages include the following: Lodging, inclusive of meals (Normal delivery - 3D2N / C-Section - 4D3N) Labour Ward charges or Operating Theatre charges (depending on type of delivery) Nursery charges Daily treatment fee for Nursing services Baby's immunization (BCG, 1st dose of Hep B and Vitamin

Hao Yi Kang (好易康) - Lao Xie Zhen Premium Boiled Essence of Chicken (老协珍熬鸡精)

How I came t o know about this premium essence of chicken? I posted a question on a "Mummies Group" on Facebook asking which chicken essence brand is the best for pregnancy. And "Lao Xie Zhen" had the most votes, which was a brand I had never heard of. So i googled it, visited the website to find out more about it. What are the benefits? It is said to help pregnant mummies quite alot... Helps in the growth of the baby Repair cells and tissues in the body Promotes post natal milk secretion and enhance quality of the milk Helpful for mummies with low appetite due to morning sickness and cesarean delivery Very convenient for working mothers who have no time to supplement enough nutrients Helpful towards fetal support during pregnancy and wound healing during post-natal conditioning Working adults, elderly, and children can drink it as well... The high protein content makes it very suitable for daily nourishment and supplement during recuperation. Boostin

Single and Pregnant: 13 Tips For Coping With Pregnancy

There are lots of reasons why women become single parents. Whether you chose to walk the path of parenthood alone, or have unexpectedly ended up in this situation, you may feel worried about how you will face pregnancy, birth and motherhood without the support of a partner. At other times you may feel confident, empowered, and ready to take on the world as a single parent. Mixed emotions are normal during pregnancy, and you will experience good days and bad. Pregnancy is a daunting time, but single pregnancy can be that little bit harder to navigate as you deal with worries and major decisions alone. The following tips may help you to survive pregnancy as a single woman: Single and Pregnant Tip #1: Accept Help  You really don’t need to do this all on your own. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone. All you need, is for you and your baby to be happy and healthy, and that means you might need to accept help every now and then. If you are suffering with morning sickness, acc